Effect of time of Sowing and Chemical Treatments on Seedling Growth of Custard Apple (Annona squamosa L.) cv. Sindhan
B. Dadhaniya, D. R. Kanzaria, B. Sejal, T. Dhara and P. Varuti
Keywords: Custard apple, time of sowing, chemicals, seedling growth
https://doi.org/10.37273/chesci.cs072050091 • PDF
An experiment was conducted at Lalbaug, Fruit Research Station, Department of Horticulture, College of Agriculture, Junagadh Agriculture University, Junagadh during the year of 2018. The experiment laid out in Completely Randomized Design with three replications. The treatments comprised of three different levels of time of sowing (S) viz., S1 – 15th April, S2 – 15th May; S3 – 15th June and six different levels of chemicals (M) viz., M1 – Control, M2 – GA3 200 ppm soaking for 24 hours, M3 – Concentrated H2SO4 0.1% soaking for 2 minutes, M4 – Concentrated HCl 0.1% soaking for 2 minutes, M5 – Cow dung and Cow urine slurry (1:2 ratio) soaking for 24 hours and M6 – Hot water (50 to 60˚C) soaking for 24 hours. The maximum height of seedling, stem girth, number of leaves, shoot length, root length, number of roots and fresh weight of shoot individually in 15th April sowing as well as in GA3 200 ppm treatment. That among different time of sowing dates, 15th April sowing treated along with GA3 200 ppm seed soaking for 24 hours found to be the most effective for higher leaf area, dry weight of shoot, fresh and dry weight of root.
- Torres, and Sanchez, (1992) The filipinization of the order of poor clares, Philippine Quarterly of Culture and Society, 21: 17-24.
- Rattan, B. P. and Y. N. Reddy (2004) Influence of gibberellic acid on custard apple (Annona squamosa L.) seed germination and subsequent seedling growth. Journal of Research ANGRAU, 32(2): 93-95.
- Joshi (2003) Effect of media, structure and date of sowing on seed germination and seedling growth of aonla (Emblica officinalis L.) cv. Gujarat aonla-1, Thesis submitted to AAU Anand, Gujarat.
- Parmar, V. J. (2013) Effect of different growing media, structures and sowing dates on seed germination and seedling growth of custard apple (Annona squamosa L.) cv. Balanagar. Thesis submitted to AAU, Anand, Gujarat.
- Rajamanickam, C. and K. Balakrishnan, (2004) Influence of seed treatments on seedling vigour in aonla (Emblica officinalis G.). South Indian Horticulture, 52(1/6): 324-327.
- Barche, S. K. S. Kirad, and D. B. Singh, (2010) Response of seed treatment on germination, growth, survivability and economics of different cultivars of papaya. Acta Horticulture, 851: 279-284.
- Babu, K. D., R. K. Patel, A. Singh, D. S. Yadav, L. C. De and B. C Deka. 2010. Seed germination, seedling growth and vigour of papaya under North East Indian condition. Acta Horticulture, 851: 299-306.
- Pritee, R. (2015) Effect of GA3 and dates of sowing on seed germination, growth and survival of custard apple (Aanona squamosa L.) seedlings. M.Sc. (Horti) Thesis submitted to Jawaharlal Nehru Krishi Vishwa Vidhyalaya, Jabalpur.
- Parmar, R. K, M. J. Patel, R. M. Thakkar, and T. Tsomu, 2016. Influence of seed priming treatments on germination and seedling vigour of custard apple (Annona squamosa L.) cv. Local. The Bioscan, 11(1): 389-393.
- Patel, M. S, K. H. Nurbhanej, M. J. Rathod, S. V. Vyas and N. H. Bhutiya (2017) Effect of Media and GA3 on Seed Germination of custard Apple (Annona squamosa L.) cv. Sindhan. International Journal of Pure and Applied Bioscience, 5(4): 969-975.
- Sen, S. K. and P. Ghanti, (1976) Effect of pre sowing treatment on the germination of papaya (Carica papaya L.) seeds. Colombiano Agropecurananio, 11(3): 221-230.