Thermodynamic Study of Green Corrosion Inhibitor on Mild Steel with Aqueous Extract of Ziziphus Jujuba Stem and Fruits in 1M HCl Solution
Rakesh Kumar Dubey1, Nitin Gupta2*, S.M. Nafees2 and S. Kalpana2
1Goverment College, Gangapur City, SawaiMadhopur, Rajasthan-322201
2Goverment College, Kota, Rajasthan-324001
Keywords: Ziziphus Jujuba stem, Ziziphus Jujuba fruits, Corrosion, Langmuir adsorption isotherm, Mild steel, Weight loss method
The Corrosion inhibition of mild steel (MS) in 1 M HCl solution with aqueous extract of Ziziphus Jujuba stem and Ziziphus Jujuba fruits is studied by weight loss method at 303-333K temperatures. It is found that inhibition efficiency rise with increase in concentration of extract and decreased with rise in temperature. Maximum 78.05% inhibition efficiency was observed at 303 K and 8% (v/v) concentration of Ziziphus Jujuba stem. While maximum 68.60% inhibition efficiency was observed at 303 K and 8% (v/v) concentration of Ziziphus Jujuba fruits. Value observed for Activation energy, Gibbs free energy and variation in I.E. with temp Suggest physisorption. Adsorption of extract at mild steel surface follows Langmuir adsorption isotherm. Negative values of Gibbs energy reveals the spontaneity of inhibition process in extracts at studied temperatures.
- Rakesh Kumar Dubey, Nitin Gupta, S.M.Nafees, Kalpana.S, Corrosion Inhibition of mild steel with aqueous extract of Ziziphus Jujuba roots in 1M HCL solution, International journal of Application or Innovation in engineering & Management, 2019;8(3):313-322.
- Noor E.A., Comparative Study on the Corrosion Inhibition of Mild Steel by Aqueous Extract of Fenugreek Seeds and Leaves in Acidic Solutions, Journal of Engineering and Applied Sciences, 2008; 3(1): 23-30.
- Cristofari G., Znini M., Majidi L., Bouyanzer A., Al-Deyab S.S., J. Paolini, Hammouti B. and Costa J., Chemical Composition and Anti-Corrosive Activity of PulicariaMauritanicaEssential Oil Against the Corrosion of Mild Steel in 0.5 M H2SO4, International Journalof Electrochemical Science, 2011; 6: 6699-6717.
- Khamis, E., The Effect of Temperature on the Acidic Dissolution of Steel in the Presence of Inhibitors, Corrosion (NACE), 1990; 46(6): 476-484.
- Okafor P.C., Ebenso E.E. and Ekpe U.J., Azadirachtaindica extracts as corrosion inhibitor for mild steel in acid medium, International Journal of Electrochemical Science, 2010; 5: 973–998.
- Sharma R.K., Mudhoo A., Jain G. and Sharma J., Corrosion inhibition and adsorption properties of Azadirachtaindica mature leaves extract as green inhibitor for mild steel in HNO3, Green Chemistry Letters and Reviews, 2010; 3: 7–15.
- Ekanem U.F., Umoren, S.A., Udousoro, I.I. and Udoh, A.P., Inhibition of mild steel corrosion in HCl using pineapple leaves (Ananascomosus L.) extract. J. Mater. Sci. 2010; 45: 5558–5566.
- Saratha R. and Vasudha V.G., Emblica officinalis (Indian Gooseberry) leaves extract as corrosion inhibitor for mild steel in 1 N HCl medium, European Journal of Chemistry, 2010; 7: 677–684.
- Eddy N.O., Adsorption and inhibitive properties of ethanol extract of Garcinia kola and Cola nitida for the corrosion of mild steel in H2SO4, Pigment and Resin Technology. 2010; 39: 348–354.
- Behpour M., Ghoreishi S.M., Khayatkashani M. and Soltani N., The effect of two oleogum resin exudate from Ferula assa-foetida and Doremaammoniacum on mild steel corrosion in acidic media, Corrosion Science, 2011; 53: 2489–2501.
- Umoren S.A., Eduok U.M., Solomon M.M. and Udoh A.P., Corrosion inhibition by leaves and stem extracts of Sidaacuta for mild steel in 1 M H2SO4 solutions investigated by chemical and spectroscopic techniques, Arabian Journal of Chemistry, 2016; 9: S209-S224.
- Noor E.A., Temperature Effects on the Corrosion Inhibition of Mild Steel in Acidic Solutions by Aqueous Extract of Fenugreek Leaves, International Journal of Electrochemical Science, 2007; 2: 996 – 1017.
- Obi-Egbedi N.O. Obot I.B. and Umoren S.A., Spondiasmombin L. as a green corrosion inhibitor for aluminium in sulphuric acid: Correlation between inhibitive effect andelectronic properties of extracts major constituents using density functional theory,Arabian Journal of Chemistry, 2012; 5: 361–373.
- Yadav M., Sushil Kumar, Bahadur I. and Ramjugernath D., Corrosion Inhibitive Effect ofSynthesized Thiourea Derivatives on Mild Steel in a 15% HCl Solution, International,Journal of Electrochemical Science, 2014; 9: 6529 – 6550.
- Li X. and Mu G., Tween-40 as corrosion inhibitor for cold rolled steel in sulphuric acid: Weight loss study, electrochemical characterization and AFM, Applied Surface Science, 2005; 252(5): 1254–1265.
- Obot I.B., Ebenso E.E., Zuhair and Gasem M., Eco-friendly corrosion inhibitors: Adsorption and inhibitive action of ethanol extracts of Chalomolaenaodorata L. for the corrosion of mild steel in H2SO4 solutions, International Journal of Electrochemical Science, 2012; 7: 1997–2008.
- Popova A., Sokolova E., Raicheva S. and Christov M., AC and DC study of the temperature effect on mild steel corrosion in acid media in the presence of benzimidazole derivatives, Corrosion Science, 2003; 45(1): 33–58.
- Damaskin B.B., Adsorption of Organic Compounds on Electrodes, Plenum Press, New York, 1971; 221.
- Mu G.N., Li X. and Li F., Synergistic inhibition between o-phenanthroline and chloride ion on cold rolled steel corrosion in phosphoric acid, Materials Chemistry and Physics, 2004; 86(1): 59–68.
- Gomma G.K. and Wahdan M.H. Schiff bases as corrosion inhibitors for aluminium in hydrochloric acid solution, Materials Chemistry and Physics, 1995; 39(3): 209-213.
- Soltani N., Behpour M. and Ghoreishi S.M., Corrosion inhibition of mild steel in hydrochloric acid solution by some double Schiff bases, Corrosion Science, 2010; 52(4): 1351–1361.
- Solmaz R., Kardaş G., Çulha M., Yazıcı B. and Erbil M., Investigation of adsorption and inhibitive effect of 2-mercaptothiazoline on corrosion of mild steel in hydrochloric acid media, Electrochimica Acta, 2008; 53(20): 5941–5952.
- Tebbji K., Faska N., Tounsi A., Oudda H. and Benkaddour M., The effect of some lactones as inhibitors for the corrosion of mild steel in 1 M hydrochloric acid, Materials Chemistry and Physics, 2007; 106(2–3): 260–267.
- Fragoza-Mar L., Olivares-Xometl O., Domínguez-Aguilar M.A., Flores E.A., Arellanes- Lozada P. and Jiménez-Cruz F., Corrosion inhibitor activity of 1,3-diketone malonates for mild steel in aqueous hydrochloric acid solution, Corrosion Science, 2012; 61: 171–184.
- Noor E.A. and Al-Moubaraki A.H., Thermodynamic study of metal corrosion and inhibitor adsorption processes in mild steel/1- methyl-4[4(-X)-styrylpyridinium iodides/hydrochloric acid systems, Materials Chemistry and Physics, 2008; 110: 145–154.
- Quartarone G., Ronchin L., Vavasori A., Tortato C., Bonaldo L., Inhibitive action of gramine towards corrosion of mild steel in deaerated 1.0 M hydrochloric acid solutions, Corrosion Science, 2012; 64: 82–89.
- Quraishi M.A., Yadav D.K. and Ahamad I., Green Approach to Corrosion Inhibition by Black Pepper Extract in Hydrochloric Acid Solution, The Open Corrosion Journal, 2009; 2: 56-60.
- Vasudha V.G. and ShanmugaPriya K, Polyalthia Longifolia as a Corrosion Inhibitor for Mild Steel in HCl Solution, Research Journal of Chemical Sciences, 2013; 3(1): 21-26.
- El-Awady A.A., Abd-El-Nabey B.A. and Aziz, S.G., Kinetic-Thermodynamic and Adsorption Isotherms Analysis for the Inhibition of Acid Corrosion of steel by Cyclic and Open Chain Amines, Journal of Electrochemical Society, 1992; 139(8): 2149-2154.
- Bouklah M., Benchat N., Hammouti B., Aouniti A. and Kertit S., Thermodynamic characterisation of steel corrosion and inhibitor adsorption of pyridazine compounds in 0.5 M H2SO4, Materials Letters, 2006; 60(15): 1901–1905.
- Bouklah M., Hammouti B., Lagrenee M. and Bentiss F., Thermodynamic properties of 2,5-bis(4-methoxyphenyl)-1,3,4-oxadiazole as a corrosion inhibitor for mild steel in normal sulfuric acid medium, Corrosion Science, 2006; 48(9): 2831–2842.
- Ebenso, E.E., Alemu, H., Umoren, S.A. and Obot, I.B., Inhibition of mild steel corrosion in sulphuric acid using alizarin yellow GG dye and synergistic iodide additive, International Journal of Electrochemical. Science, 2008; 3: 1325-1339.
- Sibel ZOR, Doğan P. and Yazıcı B., Inhibition of Acidic Corrosion Of Iron And Aluminium By Sdbs at Different Temperatures, Corrosion Reviews, 2005; 23(2-3): 217-232.
- GülşenAvci, Corrosion inhibition of indole-3-acetic acid on mild steel in 0.5 M HCl, Colloids and Surfaces A: Physicochemical and Engineering Aspects, 2008; 317;(1–3): 730–736.
- Li X., Deng S. and Fu H., Adsorption and inhibition effect of vanillin on cold rolled steel in 3.0 M H3PO4, Progress in Organic Coatings, 2010; 67(4): 420–426.
- Obot I.B. and Obi-Egbedi N.O., 2,3-Diphenylbenzoquinoxaline: A new corrosion inhibitor for mild steel in sulphuric acid, Corrosion Science, 2010; 52(1): 282–285.
- Obot I.B. and Obi-Egbedi N.O., Adsorption properties and inhibition of mild steel corrosion in sulphuric acid solution by ketoconazole: Experimental and theoretical investigation, Corrosion Science, 2010; 52: 198–204.
- Umoren S.A., Obot I.B., Ebenso E.E. and Obi-Egbedi N.O., The Inhibition of aluminium corrosion in hydrochloric acid solution by exudate gum from Raphiahookeri, Desalination, 2009; 247(1–3): 561-572.
- Li X., Deng S., Xie X. and Fu H., Inhibition effect of bamboo leaves’ extract on steel and zinc in citric acid solution, Corrosion Science, 2014; 87: 15–26.
- Bentiss F., Lebrini M. and Lagrenée M., Thermodynamic characterization of metal dissolution and inhibitor adsorption processes in mild steel/2,5-bis(n-thienyl)-1,3,4- thiadiazoles/hydrochloric acid system., Corrosion. Science, 2005; 47: 2915-2931.
- Benabdellah, M., Touzani, R., Dafali, A., Hammouti, B. and El Kadiri, S., Ruthenium–ligand complex, an efficient inhibitor of steel corrosion in H3PO4 media, Materials Letters, 2007; 61: 1197-1204.
- Zarrouk A., Dafali A., Hammouti B., H. Zarrok, S. Boukhris and M. Zertoubi, Synthesis, Characterization and Comparative Study of Functionalized Quinoxaline Derivatives towards Corrosion of Copper in Nitric Acid Medium, International Journal of Electrochemical Science, 2010; 5: 46-55.
- Li X., Deng S., Fu H. and Mu G., Inhibition effect of 6-benzylaminopurine on the corrosion of cold rolled steel in H2SO4 solution, Corrosion Science, 2009; 51: 620–634.
- Badiea A.M. and Mohana K.N., Effect of temperature and fluid velocity on corrosion mechanism of low carbon steel in presence of 2-hydrazino-4,7- dimethylbenzothiazole in industrial water medium, Corrosion. Science, 2009; 51: 2231–2241.