Identification of Volatile Flavour Compounds in Moringa Oleifera Powder and Soup Mixes
K Shunmugapriya*, P Vennila, S Kanchana and S Vellaikumar
Keywords: Moringa oleifera, Soup mixes, GC – MS, Volatile compounds
https://doi.org/10.37273/chesci.cs20510110 • PDF
Drumstick powder and soup mixes from drumstick possessing some volatile compounds which is responsible for it’s a unique characteristics aroma. In this present study, effort was taken to identify the volatile compounds present in drumstick powder and soup mixes from drumstick which establishing a critical baseline for further work. The drumstick powder was prepared by drying the pretreated drumstick in cabinet drier at 600C till moisture content reaches to 4.0 per cent. Soup mixes from drumstick were prepared by adding the various ingredients viz., thickening and flavouring agents to the drumstick powder. The prepared soup mixes which was stored for six months in metallised polypropylene packs and analysed for the presence of volatile compounds. The samples were extracted directly with hexane and volatile compounds were analysed in GC-MS while the mass spectra of the compounds found in the extract was matched with the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) library. The results revealed that the existence of octadecanoic acid, 3-hexen 2-one and cyclopentanol, 1 – methyl in all the samples taken for the study.
- Vandana and Alka sharma. 2012. Drumstick (Moringa oleifera): A miracle tree. Beverages and Food World. 39 (2): 42-44.
- APEDA. 2017. Processed Fruits and Vegetables. Retrieved April 20, 2017, from Agricultural and Processed Food Products Export Development Authority: http://apeda.gov.in/apedawebsite/six_head_product/PFV_
- Carterette E, Friedman MP. 1989. Flavor Chemistry. Trends and Development. Washington, DC: American Chemical Society.
- Reineccus, T. A, G.A. Reineccius, T.L Peppard. 2003. Flavour release from cyclodextrin complexes: Comparison of alpha, beta and gamma types J. Food Sci., 68(4):1234-1239.
- Shahidi F. 1998. Flavor of muscle foods – An overview. In: Flavor of Meat, Meat Products, and Sea-foods (2edn.). Blackie Academic and Professional, London, UK.
- Choudhury B. 2008. Ph.D Thesis submitted on Volatile and non – volatile components of beef marrow bone stocks. The State University of New Jersey: New Jersey.
- J and C.T. Ho. 1998. The flavour of poultry meat In: Flavor of Meat, Meat products and seafoods. (Shahidi F, Ed.). Blackwell Publishers, London. pp. 84-100.
- Damjan Janes, Dragana Kantar, Samo Kreft and Helena Prosen. 2009. Identification of buckwheat (Fagopyrum esculentum Moench) aroma compounds with GC – MS. Food Chemistry. 112 120 – 124.
- Karthika, S., M. Ravishankar, J. Mariajancyrani and G. Chandramohan. 2013. Study on phytoconstituents from Moringa oleifera leaves. Asian Journal of Plant Science and Research. 3 (4):63-69.
- Rani LS, Mohan VR, Regini GS, Kalidass C. 2009. GC-MS analysis of ethanolic extract of Pothos scandens leaf. J Herb Medi Toxicol 3:159–160.
- Ponnamma SU, Manjunath K. 2012. GC-MS Analysis of phytocomponents in the methanolic extract of Justicia wynaadensis (nees) T. anders.Int J Pharm Bio Sci 3(3):570–576.
- Uma B, Prabhakar K, Rajendran S, Sarayu LY. 2009. Studies on GC/MS spectroscopic analysis of some bioactive antimicrobial compounds from Cinnamomum zeylanicum. J Med Plants 8(31):125–131.
- Wang L, Zhao D, Zhang Z, Zuo C, Zhang Y, Pei YQ, Lo YQ. 1999. Trial of antiepilepsirine 1(AES) in children with epilepsy. Brain Dev 21(1):36–40.
- Rauscher FM, Sanders RA, Watkins JB. 2000. Effects of piperine on antioxidant pathways in tissues from normal and streptozotocininduced diabetic rats. J Biochem Mol Toxicol 14:329–334.
- Prakash UN, Srinivasan K. 2010. Gastrointestinal protective effect of dietary spices during ethanol-induced oxidant stress in experimental rats. Appl Physiol Nutr Metab 35(2):134–141.
- El Hamass R, Idaomar M, Alonso-Moraga M, Serrano AM. 2003. Antimutagenic properties of bell and black peppers. Food Chem Toxicol 41(1):41–47.
- Matsuda H, Ninomiya K, Morikawa T, Yasuda D, Yamaguchi I, Yoshikawa M. 2008. Protective effects of amide constituents from the fruit of Piper chaba on D-galactosamine/TNF-alpha-induced cell death in mouse hepatocytes. Bioorg Med Chem Lett 18(6):2038-2042.
- Vijayakumar RS, Nalini N. 2006. Piperin, an active principle from Piper nigrum, modulates hormonal and apo lipoprotein profiles in hyperlipidemic rats. J Basic Clin Physiol Pharmacol 17(2):71–86.
- Atal S, Agrawal PR, Vyas S, Phadnis P, Rai N. 2012. Evaluation of the effect of piperine per se on blood glucose level in alloxan-induced diabetic mice. Acta Pol Pharm-Drug Res 69(5):965-969.
- Rao CV, Newmark HL, Reddy BS (1998) Chemopreventive effect of squalene on colon cancer. Carcinogenesis 19:287–297
- Sunitha S, Nagaraj M, Varalakshmi P (2001) Hepatoprotective effect of lupeol and lupeol linoleate on tissue antioxidant defence system in cadmium-induced hepatotoxicity in rats. Fitoterapia 72(5):516–23
- Ukiva M, Akihisa T, Tokuda H, Suzuki H, Mukainaka T, Ichiishi E (2002) Antitumor promoting effects and cytotoxic activity against human cancer lines of triterpene diols and triols from edible chrysanthemum flowers. Cancer Lett 177:7–12.
- Katerere FR, Grev AI, Nash RJ, Waigh RD. 2003. Antimicrobial activity of pentacyclic triterpenes isolated from African combretaceae. Phytochemistry 63:81–88
- Camila CMPS, Mirian SS, Vanine GM, Luciana MC, Antonia ACA, Guilherme ALO, Jessica PC, Damiao PS, Rivelilson MF, Reinaldo NA. 2013. Antinociceptive and antioxidant activities of phytol in vivo and in vitro models. J Neurosci. 1–10. doi:10.1155/2013/949452
- Qin L.I., K.X. Zhu and H.M. Zhou. 2011. Analysis of flavor compounds in button mushroom soup by HS-SPME-GC-MS and GC-O. J. Food Sci., 32(16): 300-304.
- Yadav, A. R., Chauhan, A. S., Rekha, M. N., Rao, L. J. M., & Ramteke, R. S. (2004). Flavour quality of dehydrated lime [Citrus aurantifolia (Christm.) Swingle]. Food Chemistry, 85(1), 59-62
- Dev, S. R. S., P. Geetha, V. Orsat, Y. Gariepy and G. S. V. Raghavan. 2013. Effects of microwave-assisted hot air drying and conventional hot air drying on the drying kinetics, color, rehydration, and volatiles of Moringa oleifera. Drying Technology: An International Journal. 29 (12): 1452-1458.