Seed Protein Profiling, An Efficient Method in Diversity Analysis of Pumpkin (Cucurbita moschata Duch. Ex. Poir.) From Northeast India
Md. Ramjan, Chandra Deo, Mohd Talha Ansari and M. Chandrakumar Singh
Keywords: Cluster analysis, genetic diversity, Sodium dodecyl sulphate polyacrylamide gel electrophoresis (SDS-PAGE)
https://doi.org/10.37273/chesci.cs032051011 • PDF
For the present study, 25 diverse genotype of pumpkin were evaluated at Vegetable Research Farm, College of Horticulture and Forestry, Central Agricultural University, Pasighat Arunachal Pradesh India for genetic diversity using the total seed proteins using SDS-PAGE and morphological characteristics. All the germplasm clearly revealed remarkable polymorphism from their protein banding patterns. On the basis of banding patterns,the 89 numbers of protein bands were observed in all the genotypes. Total protein band which ranged from 13 to 26 with Relative Mobility (Rm) values 0.10 to 0.98. The result showed that, among the genotypes, CHFPUM-6, CHFPUM-18 and CHFPUM-25 showed maximum numbers (26) of protein bands while the minimum numbers (13) of bands were present in genotypes CHFPUM-13. The study concluded that, the genotype CHFPUM-1 with CHFPUM-21, CHFPUM-3 with CHFUM-13 and CHFPUM-20 were more distantly related to each other. Hence these genotypes could be utilized for breeding programme.
- Teshome A, Baum BR, Fahrig L, Torrance JK, Arnason TJ, Lambert JD. Sorghum [Sorghum bicolor (L.)Moench] landrace variation and classification in North Shewa and South Welo, Ethiopia.Euphytica., 1997, 97:255-263.
- Nagar, A., Sureja, A.K., Kar, A., Bhardwaj, R., Krishnan, S.G. and Munshi, A.D. Variability, correlation and path analysis studies in pumpkin (Cucurbita moschata Duchesne ex Poir.). Chem. Sci. Review. Letters., 2017,6(21): 574-580.
- Sultana, S. Kawochar, M.A., Naznin, S., Siddika. A and Mahmud, F. Genetic divergence in pumpkin (Cucurbita moschata L.) genotypes. Bangladesh. J.Agril. Res., 2015, 40(4): 683-692.
- Yatung, T., Dubey, R.K., Singh, V., Upadhyay, G. and Singh, S. Studies on seed protein profiling in chilli (Capsicum annuum L.) genotypes of Northeast India. Aust. J. Crop Sci., 2014, 8(3): 369-377.
- Ladizinski, G. and Hymowitz, T. Seed protein electrophoresis in taxonomic and evolutionary studies. Theor. Appl. Genet., 1979, 54: 145-151.
- Singh, P.K. Panwar, N. and Bhagyawant, S.S. Evaluation of Genotypic variation using SDS-PAGE. European J. Biotech.and Bios., 2015, 3(7): 39-40.
- Forster, B.P., B.J. Till, A.M.A. Ghanim, H.O.A. Huynh, H. Burstmayr and P.D.S. Caligari. 2014. Accelerated plant breeding. CAB Reviews, 9: 1749-8848.
- Lowry, O.H., Rosebrough, N.J., Farr, A.L. and Randall, R.J. Protein measurement with the folin phenol reagent. J. Biol. Chem., 1951, 193: 265-275.
- Laemmli, U.K. Cleavage of structural proteins during the assembly of the head of bacteriophage T4. Nat., 1970, 227: 680-685.
- Mortz, E., Krogh, T.N., Vorum, H. and Gorg, A. Improved silver staining protocols for high sensitivity protein identification using matrix-assisted laser desorption/ionization-time of flight analysis. Proteom., 2001, 1(11): 1359-1363.
- Nei, M. and Li, W.H. Mathematical model for studying genetic variation in terms of restriction endonucleases. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA. 1979, 76(10): 5269-5273.
- Virk PS, Ford-Lloyd BV, Jackson MT, Newburry HJ. Use of RAPD for the study of diversity within plant germplasm collections.Heredity., 1995, 74:170-179.
- Dudwadkar, S., Parab, M. and Singh, S. Diversity analysis among few cucurbitaceae using seed protein profile. Int. J. Plant Anim. Environ. Sci., 2015, 5(1): 146-151.
- Singh, B.K., Hotti, A.H., Singh, P.K. and Mandal, N. Analysis of seed storage protein diversity among twelve different cultivars of Pea (Pissumsativum L.) using SDS-PAGE. Electron. J. Plant Breeding. 2016, 7(2): 378-385.
- Duran MW, Blair MC, Giraldo R, Macchiavelli E, Prophete JC, Nin JC, Beaver JS. Morphological and molecular characterization of common bean landraces and cultivars from the Caribbean. Crop Sci., 2005, 45: 1320-1328.
- Panella L, Kami J, Gepts P. Vignin diversity in wild and cultivated taxa of Vignaungiculata. Econ. Bot., 1993, 47:371-386.
- Dubey, R. K, Muddarsu, V.R. Singh, V. Upadhyay, G. Singh, S. Pandey, A. K. Pandey, S. and Gangadhara R. P. Studies on seed protein profiling in snapmelon (cucumismelovarmomordica L.) genotypes of northeast India.Int. J. Agricult. Stat. Sci., 2016, 12(1):143-149.
- Lioli L, Piergiovanni AP, Pignone D, Puglisi S, Santantonio M, Sonnante G. Genetic diversity of some surviving on farm Italian common bean landraces. Plant Breed.2005, 124: 576-581.
- Kumar AO, Rupavati T, Tata SS. Seed storage protein profiles in cultivar of capsicum annuumL. Recent. Res. Sci. Tech., 2010, 2(3): 23–27.
- Barber I, Yasar F. Characterization of bean cultivars grown in Turkey by SDS-PAGE of seed protein. Pak. J. Bot., 2011, 43(2): 1085-1090.
- Akbar N, Ahmad H, Ghafoor SU, Khan IA. Phylogeny and genetic diversity studies in Capsicum using seed storage protein. Curr. Res. J. Bio. Sci., 2010, 2(4): 250-252.