Effect of Different Potting Media on Bougainvillea Propagation cv. Mahara
Babita Singh, S. S. Sindhu, Harendra Yadav and N. K. Saxena
Keywords: Bougainvillea, Cutting, Potting Media
https://doi.org/10.37273/chesci.cs20510121 • PDF
An experiment on stimulation in rooting of Bougainvillea buttiana cv. Mahara using six different potting media i.e. Sand (Control), Sand: Cocopeat (1:1), Sand: Cocopeat: Perlite (1:1:1), Sand: Vermiculite:Vermicompost (1:1:1), Sand: Perlite: Vermicompost (1:1:1),Sand: Cocopeat: FYM (1:1:1) were conducted at Bougainvillea Repository, Division of Floriculture and Landscaping, IARI, New Delhi. This experiment was laid out in Completely Randomized Design (CRD) with three replications. Data were collected on days to first Sprout, no. of vegetative buds/plant, survival percentage of cutting, length of longest shoot, fresh wt. of shoots/plant, dry wt. of shoots/plant, length of longest root/plant, fresh wt. of roots/plant and dry wt. of roots/plant. The results showed that the treatment of Sand: Cocopeat : Perlite (1:1:1) was significantly better rooting than the control and all the other parameters with respect to rooting of cuttings like days to first sprout (8.66 days), no. of vegetative buds/plant (4.0), survival percentage of cutting (100%), length of longest shoot (44.75 cm), fresh wt. of shoots/plant (22.23 g), dry wt. of shoots/plant (7.41 g), length of longest root/plant (33.5 cm), fresh wt. of roots/plant (18.56 g) and dry wt. of roots/plant (6.19 g) followed by Sand: Cocopeat (1:1) compared to control and other treatments.
- Kobayashi, K. D., Mc Connell, J. and Griffis, J. Buogainvillea. 2007. Cooperation Extension Service. College of Tropical Agriculture and Human Resources. University of Hawaii at Manoa. Ornamental and Flowers.
- Christopher, B. 1996. The Royal Horticultural Society. A-Z Encyclopedia of Garden plants Dorling Kindersley Limited, London, 184.
- Singh, K. K., Rawat, J. M. S. and Tomor, Y. K. 2011. Influence of indole butyric acid (IBA) on rooting potential of Torch Glory Bouganvillea glabra during winter seasons. Journal of Horticulture Science and Ornamental Plants, 3(2): 162-165.
- Khayyat, M., & Salehi, S. 2007. Effects of different pot mixtures on Pothos (Epipremnun aureum Lindl. and Andre ‘Golden Pothos’) growth and development. American-Eurasian Journal Agriculture Environment Science, Deira, 6, 3: 360-371.
- Leakey, R.R.B., J.F. Mese, Z. Tchoundjeu, K.A. Longman; J. Dick, A. Newton, J. Grace, R.C. Munro and P.N. Muthoka 1990. Low-technology techniques for the vegetative propagation of tropical trees. Commonw. For. Rev., 69 (3): 247–257.
- Zubair, M., Inayatullah, H. and Rahman, N. 1995. Effect of different growing media and different doses of nitrogen on the growth of Monstera deliciosa. Sarhad J. Agric., 11: 715-720.
- Rymbai, H. Sathyanarayana Reddy, G. and Reddy, K.C.S. 2012.Effect of Cocopeat and Sphagnum Moss on Guava Air Layers and Plantlets Survival under open and polyhouse nursery. Agric. Sci. Digest, 32 (3): 241 – 243.
- Fagge, A. & Manga, A. 2011. Effect of sowing media and gibberellic acid on the growth and seedling establishment of Bougainvillea glabra, Ixoracoccinea and Rosa chinensis characters 2; Root characterization. Bayers J. Pure Applied Sci 4(2):155-159.
- Lokesha R, Mahishi, D. M., Shivashankar G.1988. Studies on the use of coconut coir dust as a rooting media. Current Research. 1988; 17(12):157-158.
- Smith C. H. 1995. Coir: a viable alternative to peat for potting. The Horticulturist. 4(3):12-25.
- Gerrakakis, A. C. and Ozkaya, M. T. 2005. Effects of cutting size, rooting media and planting time on rooting of Domat and Ayvalik olive (Oleaeuropaea L.) cultivars in shaded polyethylene tunnel (spt.). Tarim Bilimleri Dergisi, 11(3): 334-338.
- Wazir, M.G., Amin, N.U. & Ishtiaq, M. 2003. Effects of different potting mixtures and nitrogen source on the performance of Brassaia seedlings-I. Sarhad J. Agri., 19: 463–8.
- Rajkumar, Jagan Singh Gora, Ramesh Kumar, Anshuman Singh, Ashwani Kumar and Gajender 2017. Effect of different growing media on the rooting of pomegranate (Punica granatum L.) cv. ‘Phulea rakta’ cuttings. Journal of Applied and Natural Science 9 (2): 715 – 719.
- Awang, Y., Shaharom, A., Mohamad, S. R. B. and Selamat, A. 2010. Growth dynamics of Celosia cristata grown in cocopeat, Burnt Rice Hull and Kenaf Core Fiber mixtures. American J. Agricultural and Biological Sciences. 5(1): 70-76.
- Mane, P. D. and Bhosale, L. J. 2008. Growth performance of Arabidopsis thaliana L. on soil and cocopeat growth media. Advances in Plant Sciences. 21: 2, 377-378.
- Puri, S. &Verma, R.C. 1996. Vegetative propagation of Dalbergia sisoo Roxb. using softwood and hardwood cuttings J. Arid Environments, 34:235-245.