Diversity in Pomegranate (Punica granatum L.) Genotypes of India as Revealed by Principal Component Analysis and Cluster Analysis
Nusrat Perveen, Sarvamangala S. Cholin, Kulapati Hipparagi and Dadapeer Peerjade
Keywords: Pomegranate, Diversity, Principal Component Analysis, Cluster Analysis
https://doi.org/10.37273/chesci.cs202050122 • PDF
Pomegranate (Punica granatum L.), belonging to the family Lythraceae, is one of the oldest and beloved fruit crops cultivated widely in several tropical and subtropical countries. In the recent past pomegranate cultivation is gaining immense popularity in India owing to its dietary and nutraceutical benefits. The present study was conducted with an objective of determining diversity present in the popular pomegranate genotypes of India for different morphological and biochemical traits and to detect the association between the genotypes using Principal Component Analysis (PCA) and Cluster Analysis (CA). Results suggest presence of considerable phenotypic and genetic diversity in the studied pomegranate genotypes. Fruit and aril traits like fruit weight, dry weight of 100 arils, fruit volume, fruit length, peel weight, aril weight and fruit diameter were found to be the most discriminating traits of the Indian pomegranate germplasm under study.
- Morton, J.F. Pomegranate (Punica granatum L.) In: Fruits of warm climates. Miami, FL, USA, 1987, pp 352–355.
- Pruthi, J. and Saxena, A. Studies on anardana (dried pomegranate seeds). J. Food Sci. Tech. 1984, 21:296–299.
- NHB 2018, http://www.nhb.gov.in accessed on December 22nd 2019
- Bist, H.S., Srivastava, R. and Sharma, G. Variation in some promising selections of wild pomegranate (Punica granatum L.). Horti. J. 1994, 7:67–70.
- Kher, R. A note on the physico-chemical characters of the wild pomegranate (Punica protopunica L.). Ann. Bio. Ludhiana. 1999, 15:231– 232.
- Sharma, S.D. and Sharma, V.K. Variation for chemical characters in some promising strains of wild pomegranate (Punica granatum L.). Euphytica. 1990, 49(2):131–133.
- Martinez, J.J., Melgarejo, P., Hernandez, F., Salazar, D.M. and Martinez, R. Seed characterisation of five new pomegranate (Punica granatum L.) varieties. Sci. Horti. 2006, 110:241–246.
- Mars, M. and Marrakchi, M. Diversity of pomegranate (Punica granatum L.) germplasm in Tunisia. Gen. Res. Crop Evol. 1999, 46:461–467.
- Cam, M., Hisil, Y. and Durmaz, G. Characterization of pomegranate juices from ten cultivars grown in Turkey. Int. J. Food. Prop. 2009, 12:388-395.
- Zaouay, F., Mena, P., Garcia-Viguera, C. and Mars, M. Antioxidant activity and physico-chemical properties of Tunisian grown pomegranate (Punica granatum L.) cultivars. Ind. Crop Prod. 2012, 40:81– 89.
- Ghaderi-Ghahfarokhi, M., Barzegar, M., Nabil, M. Geographical discrimination of Iranian pomegranate cultivars based on organic acids composition and multivariate analysis. J. Agr. Sci. Tech. 2016, 18:1221-1232.
- Mohammad, S., Abdurahman, P., Salim, K., Younis, P., Abdurahman, H. and Mohammad, S. Physico-chemical characteristics of pomegranate accessions from the Kurdistan Region, Iraq. J. Agri. Sci. 2018, 63(4):355-366.
- Mekni, M., Kharroubi, W., Cheraief, I. and Hammami, M. Pomological, organoleptic and biochemical characterizations of Tunisian pomegranate fruits (Punica granatum L.) Am. J. Pl. Sci. 2019, 10:1181-1195.
- Wetzstein, H.Y., Zhang, Z., Ravid, N. and Wetzstein, M.W. Characterization of attributes related to fruit size in pomegranate. Hortscience. 2011, 46:908-912.
- Berrueta, L.A., Alonso-Salces, R.M. and Héberger, K. Supervised pattern recognition in food analysis. J. Chromatography A. 2007, 1158:196–214.
- Dandachi, F., Hamadeh, B., Youssef, H., Chahine, H. and Chalak, L. Diversity assessment of the Lebanese germplasm of pomegranate (Punica granatum L.) by morphological and chemical traits. Ann. Agrl. Sci. 2017, 62:89-98.
- Adiletta, G., Petriccione, M., Liguori, L., Pizzolongo, F., Romano, R. and Di Matteo, M. Study of pomological traits and physico-chemical quality of pomegranate (Punica granatum L.) genotypes grown in Italy. Eur. Food Res. Tech. 2018, 244(8):1427-1438.
- Verma, M.K., Lal, S., Sharma, V.K., Choudhary, H. and Ahmed, N. PCA and genetic divergence analysis in pomegranate (Punica granatum L.) cultivars. Inter. J. Innovative Horti. 2019, 8(1):45-50.