Genetic Variability, Heritability, Correlation Coefficient and Path Analysis of Morphophysiological and Yield Related Traits of Rice under Drought Stress
Nithya, N., R. Beena, Roy Stephen, P.S. Abida, V.G. Jayalekshmi, M.M. Viji and R .V. Manju
Keywords: Drought, rice, GCV, PCV, heritability, path coefficient analysis
https://doi.org/10.37273/chesci.cs142050122 • PDF
An experiment was conducted to detect the variability, heritability and genetic advance for morphophysiologcal and yield related traits in rice under drought stress. For this study 81 genotypes were phenotyped for drought tolerance under field condition in 9×9 lattice square design with two replicates at Regional Agricultural Research Station, Pattambi during the month of Sept to Dec 2017. Drought stress was induced from panicle initiation stage for a period of 25 consecutive days by withdrawing irrigation. The result obtained from the current study showed that adequate variability was present among the genotypes for morphophysiological and yield parameters. For all ten traits tested, the phenotypic coefficient of variation (PCV) was higher than the genotypic coefficient of variation (GCV). High GCV and PCV were observed for yield plant-1(22.71, 23.05). Broad sense heritability varied from 57.23 for tiller number to 96.33 for grain yield. Path analysis revealed that the relative water content had maximum positive direct effect on yield. The present study revealed that for rice yield under drought stress a genotype should possess high relative water content, chlorophyll stability index and high spikelet fertility percentage.
- Henry, A., Wehler, R., Grondin, A., Franke, R., Quintana, M. 2016. Environmental and physiological effects on grouping of drought- tolerant and susceptible rice varieties related to rice (Oryza sativa) root hydraulics under drought. Ann Bot., 118(4): 711–724.
- Kumar, A., Nayak, A.K., Mohanty, S., Das, B.S. 2016. Greenhouse gas emission from direct seeded paddy fields under different soil water potentials in Eastern India. Agric. Ecosyst. Environ., 228: 111–123
- Fukai, S., Pantuwan, G., Jongdee, C., Cooper, M. 1999.Screening for drought resistance in rainfed lowland rice. Field. Crop. Res., 64:61-74.
- Beena, R., Anjali, A.R., Veena, V., Sindhumole, P., Narayanankutty, M.C., Voleti, S.R. 2014. Impact of high temperature stress on rice during reproductive and grain filling stage. Progressive Res.9:759-764.
- Kumar, A. J., Bernier, S., Verulkar, H. R. Lafitte, G. and Atlin, N. 2014. Breeding for drought tolerance: direct selection for yield response to selection and use of drought-tolerant donors in upland and lowland-adapted populations. Field Crops Res. 107 (3): 221–23.
- Nahar, K., Hasanuzzaman, M., Alam, M. M., Rahman, A., Suzuki, T., Fujita, M. 2016. Polyamine and nitric oxide crosstalk: antagonistic effects on cadmium toxicity in mung bean plants through up regulating the metal detoxification, antioxidant defense, and methylglyoxal detoxification systems. Eco. toxicol. Environ. Saf.126; 245–255.
- Trenberth, K. E. 2011. Changes in precipitation with climate change. Res.47 123–138.
- Mittler, R. 2006. Abiotic stress, the field environment and stress combination. Trends in Plant Science.11:15–19.
- Satheeshkumar, P. and Saravanan, K. 2012. Genetic variability, correlation and path analysis in rice (Oryza Sativa L.). Int. J. Current. Res. 4: 82–85.
- Ahmadizadeh, M. Nori, A. Shahbazi, H. and Aharizad, S. 2011. Correlated response of morpho-physiological traits of grain yield in durum wheat under normal irrigation and drought stress conditions in greenhouse. Afri. J. Biotech. 10(85): 19771–19779.
- Blum, A. and Ebercon,A. 1981 Cell membrane stability as a measure of drought and heat tolerance in wheat. Crop Sci. 21: 43-47.
- Turner, N.C. 1981. Techniques and experimental approaches for the measurement of plant water stress. Plant Soil. 58: 339-366.
- Arnon, D. I. 1949. Copper enzymes in isolated chloroplasts. Polyphenoloxidase in Betavulgaris. Plant Physiol. 24:1-15.
- SAS Institute. Inc. 1990. SAS/STAT user’s guide, Version 6 4th edition, vol 1 and 2. SAS institute Inc., Cary, North California, USA.
- Dewey, D.R. and Lu, K.H. 1959. A correlation and path coefficient analysis components of crested wheat grass seed production. Agron, J.51:575-81.
- Burton, G.W. 1952. Quantitative inheritance in grasses. Proc. 6th Int. Grassland Congr.1:277-283.
- Lush, J. L. 1940. Intrasine correlation and regression of offspring on dams as a method of estimating heritability of character. Proc. Am.Soc.Anim.Nutr.32:293-301.
- Johnson, H.W., Robinson, H.F. and Comstock, R.E. 1955. Estimate of genetic and environmental variability in soybean. Agron. J. 47:314-318.
- Serraj, R., Kumar, A., McNally, K.L., Slamet-Loedin, I., Bruskiewich, R., Mauleon, R., Cairns, J. and Hijmans, R. J. 2009. Improvement of drought resistance in rice. Adv. Agron. 103: 41-98.
- Seyoyum, M., Alamerew, S. and Bantte, K. 2012. Genetic variability, Heritability, Correlation coefficient and path analysis for yield and yield related traits in upland rice (Oryza sativa L.). J. Plant. Sci. 7 (1):13-22.
- Lakshmi, B.V., Suryanarayana, Y., Ramakumar, P.V., Ashokarani, Y. and Rao, V.S. 2016. Genetic parameters of morpho physiological traits under water stress conditions in rice (Oryza sativa L.). J. Rice. Res. 9 (2). 24-27.
- Akinwale, A. G., Gregorio, G., Nwilene, F., Akinyele, B.O., Ogunbayo, S.A. and Odiyi, A.C. 2011. Heritability and correlation coefficient analysis for yield and its components in rice (Oryza sativa L). Afr.J. Plant. Sci. 5: 207-212.
- Ullah, M. Z., Bhashar, M.K., Bhuiyan, M.S. R., Khalequazzman, M. and Hasan, M. J. 2011. Interrelationship and cause effect analysis among morphophysiological traits in bioroin rice of Bangladesh. Int. J. Plant Breed. Genet.5:246-254.
- Kumar, R., Venuprasad, R., and Altin, G.N. 2007. Genetic analysis of rainfed lowland rice drought tolerance under naturally-occurring stress in eastern India: Heritability and QTL effects. Field. Crop. Res.103 (1):42-52.
- Karthikeyan, P., Anbuselvam, Y., Elangaimannan, R. and Venkatesan, M. 2009. Variability and heritability studies in rice (Oryza sativa L.) under coastal salinity. Electronic. J. Plant. Breed. 1: 196-98.
- Abarshahr, M., Rabei, B. and Lahigi, H.S. 2011. Genetic variability, correlation and path analysis in rice under optimum and stress irrigation regimes. Not. Sci. Biol. 3 (4); 134 – 142.
- Ali, A., Khan, S. and Asad, M. 2002. Drought tolerance in wheat; Genetic variation and heritability for growth and ion relations. Asian. J. Plant. Sci.1:420-422.
- Idris, A. E., and Mohamed, K. A., 2013. Estimation of genetic variability and correlation for grain yield components in rice (Oryza sativa L.). Global. J. Plant. Ecophysiol. 3 (1):1-6.
- Kishore, N. S., Srinivas, T., Naghabhushanam, U., Pallavi, M. and Sameera, S.K. 2015. Genetic variability, correlation and path analysis for yield and yield components in promising rice genotypes. SAARC J. Agri.13 (1):99-108.
- Singh, P. K., Dhakad, B. K., Singh, H. B. and Singh, A. K. 2012. Genetic variability and association analysis in rice (Oryza sativa L.) treated with trichoderma harzianum. Crop. Res.44 (1&2): 141-145.
- Kole, P.C., Chakraborty, N.S. and Bhat, J. S. 2008. Analysis of variability, correlation and path coefficients in induced mutants of aromatic non-basmati rice. Trop. Agric. Res. Exten. 113: 60-64.
- Garrity, D.P. and O’Toole, J.C. 1994. Screening rice for drought resistance at the reproductive phase. Field. Crop. Res. 39(2-3):99-100.
- Watto, J.I., Khan, A.S., Ali, Z., Babar, M., Naeem, M., Aman ullah, M. and Hussain, N. 2010. Study of correlation among yield related traits and path coefficient analysis in rice (Oryza sativa L.). Afr. J. Biotech.9:7853-7856.
- Parvathi, P. S., Satyanarayana Rao, V., Lal Ahmed, M. and Anil Kumar, P. 2011. Correlation and path analysis of yield and quality attributes in rice. The. Andhra Agric. J. 58(3): 310-314.
- Qamar, Z.U., Cheema, A.A., Ashraf, M., Rashid, M. and Tahir, G.R. 2005. Association analysis of some yield influencing traits in aromatic and non-aromatic rice. Pak. J. Bot. 37: 613-627.
- Agbo, C. U. and Obi, I.U. 2005.Yield and yield component analysis of twelve upland rice genotypes. J. Agric. Food. Environ. Exten.4; 29-33.