Functional Properties and Storage Qualities of Developed Complementary Food
Manisha Dutta and Pranati Das
Department of Food Science and Nutrition, College of Community Science, Assam Agricultural University, Jorhat-13, Assam, India
Keywords: Bulk density, Complementary foods, Formulation, Functional properties, Storage qualities, Viscosity, Water holding capacity
The present study was undertaken with an aim of formulating complementary foods made from staple foods with the objective of studying the functional properties and storage qualities of the developed food. The studied was carried out in Assam Agricultural University for one year. Seven formulations were prepared and were analysed for functional properties in terms of bulk density, water holding capacity and viscosity along with storage stability in terms of free fatty acid, peroxide content and sensory evaluation. Analysis of variance was done using Statistical Package for Social Sciences. Functional properties and storage qualities revealed that they differ significantly across 60 days of storage period. Sensory evaluation scores of the formulated complementary foods showed that they had good acceptability scores across the storage period These food mixes may be used for popularizing the formulations among the rural population as a source of nutritious complementary foods and may provide possible opportunities for entrepreneurship development.
- BIS (2006). Indian Standard processed-cereal based complementary foods-specification (Second Revision), Bureau of Indian Standards ManakBhawan, 9 Bahadur Shah Zafar Marg; New Delhi 110002.Foodgrains, Starches & Ready to eat Foods Selection Committee, FAD 16.
- Codex standard for processed cereal-based foods for infants and children. Codex Stand 74- 1981 (amended 1985, 1987, 1989, 1991). Codex Alimentarius vol. 4, 1994.
- Akinola, O.O.; Opreh, O.P. and Hammed, I.A. (2014). Formulation of local ingredient-based complementary food in South-west Nigeria. IOSR Journal of Nursing and Health, 3(6): 57-61.
- Abiose, S.H.; Ikujenlola, A.V. and Abioderin, F.I. (2015). Nutritional quality assessment of complementary foods produced from fermented and malted quality protein maize fortified with soybean flour. Pol. J. Food Nutr. Sci. 65(1): 49-56.
- Ghasemzadeh, R. and Ghavidel, R.A. (2011) Processing and assessment of quality charactristic of cereals – legumes composite weaning foods. International Conference on Bioscience, Biochemistry and Bioinformatics (IPCBEE) vol.5, IACSIT Press, Singapore.
- Lewis, M.J. (1987). Physical properties of food and food processing systems. Ellis Horwood Limited, Chichester, England, pp. 123-124 and 55-56.
- Hallic, J.V. and Kelly, V.J. (1959). Gelatinisation and pasting characteristics of rice varieties as related to cooking behaviour. Cereal Chem. 36 (4): 91-96.
- Onkuwa, G.I. (2005). Food Analysis and Instrumentation: Theory and Practice. Lagos, Nigeria: Naphtali Prints.
- O.A.C. (1970). Official method of analysis. Association of Official Analytical Chemist, 11th Edn.,Washington, D.C.
- O.A.C. (1975). Official method of analysis, Association of Official Agricultural Chemist, 12th Edn. Washington, D.C.
- Ikujenlola, A.V. and Adurotoye, E.A. (2014). Evaluation of Quality Characteristics of High Nutrient Dense Complementary Food from Mixtures of Malted Quality Protein Maize (Zea mays L.) and Steamed Cowpea (Vignaunguiculata). J. Food Process. Technol., 5 (6): 291.
- Ikujenlola, V.A., &Fashakin, J.B. (2005). The physico-chemical properties of a complementary diet prepared from vegetable proteins. J. Food Agri. Env., 3 (3 and 4), 23- 26.
- Ukey, A.; Diamond, J.R.; Raheem, A. and Karande, D. (2014). Development of Low Cost Weaning Food by the Incorporation of Drumsticks Leaves Powder and Its Quality Analysis. International Journal of Research in Engineering & Advanced Technology, 2(3): 1-11.
- Molteberg, E.L.;Vogt, G.; Nilsson, A. and Frolich, W. (1995). Effects of Storage and Heat Processing on the Content and Composition of Free Fatty Acids in Oats.Cereal Chem. 72(l):88-93.
- Gahlawat, P. and Sehgal S. (1994). Protein quality of weaning foods based on locally available cereal and pulse combination. Plant Foods Hum.Nutr., 46(3):245-53.