Study on Drying and Rehydration Characteristics of Tray Dried Beetroot (Beta vulgaris L.) and Functional Properties of Its Powder
Vipul Chaudhary and Vivak Kumar
Department of Agricultural Engineering, Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel University of Agriculture and Technology, Meerut, UP
Keywords: Moisture Content, Drying Rate, Moisture Ratio, Rehydration Ratio, Rehydration Rate, Swelling Capacity, Foam Capacity, Bulk Density, WAC and OAC
https://doi.org/10.37273/chesci.cs082050061 • PDF
The fresh beetroots are exposed to spoilage due to their high moisture content and needs preservation. One of the preservation methods ensuring microbial safety of biological products is drying and dehydration. An experimental study was performed to determine the drying characteristics of beetroot subjected to drying in cabinet tray dryer at 60oC with pre-treatment indicated that T0 (Control), T1 (Brine solution 5%), T2 (Sugar solution 50%), T3 (Blanching in water at 100oC for 3 min) and T4 (Steam Blanching for 3 min). The entire drying process took place in the falling rate period. Drying curves were constructed using non-dimensional moisture ratio (MR) and time. Drying is the most widely used and a primary method for preservation. The result indicated that the Pretreatment T3 (Blanching) and T4 (Steam Blanching) was found better quality compare to other pretreatments during drying and rehydration process. The result showed that the T3 (Blanching) and T4 (Steam Blanching) has highest functional properties of beetroot powder compared to others powder.
- Kavalcova, J. Bystricka, J. Tomas, J. Karovicova, J. Kovarovic, M. Lenkova. The content of total polyphenols and antioxidant activity in red beetroot. Potravinarstvo, 2015, 9(1): 77-83.
- Dias, MFGFC. Camoes, L. Oliveira. Carotenoids in traditional Portuguese fruits and vegetables. Food Chemistry, 2009, 113:808–815.
- De Zwart, S. Slow, R. J. Payne, M. Lever, PM. George, JA. Gerrard, ST. Chambers. Glycine betaine and glycine betaine analogues in common foods. Food Chemistry, 2003, 83:197–204.
- Atamanova, T. A. Brezhneva, A. I. Slivkin, V. A. Nikolaevski, V. F. Selemenev, N. V. Mironenko. Isolation of saponins from table beetroot and primary evaluation of their pharmacological activity. Pharma. Chem. Journal, 2005, 12:650–652.
- Patkai, J. Barta, I. Varsanyi. Decomposition of anticarcinogen factors of the beetroot during juice and nectar production. Cancer Letters, 1997, 114:105–106.
- Jastrebova, C. Witthoft, A. Grahn, U. Svensson, M. Jagerstad. HPLC determination of folates in raw and processed beetroots. Food Chemistry, 2003, 80: 579–588.
- Vali, BE. Stefanovits, K. Szentmihalyi, H. Febel, E. Sardi, A. Lugasi, I. Kocsis, A. Blazovics. Liver-protecting effects of table beet (Beta vulgaris var. Rubra) during ischemia-reperfusion. Nutrition, 2007, 23: 172–178.
- Kapadia, H. Tokuda, T. Konoshima, H. Nishino. Chemoprevention of lung and skin cancer by Beta vulgaris (beet) root extract. Cancer Letters, 1996, 100:211–214.
- Murlidhar, S. S. Thorat, P. M. Kotecha, C.A. Nimbalkar. Nutritional assessment of beetroot (Beta vulgaris L.) powder cookies Asian J. Dairy & Food Res, 2017, 36(3): 222-228.
- Waewsak, S. Chindaruksa, C. Punlek. A mathematical modeling study of hot air drying for some agricultural products. Thammasat International Journal of Science and Technology, 2006, 11(1): 14-20.
- Doymaz, M. Pala. The thin-layer drying characteristics of corn. Journal of Food Engineering, 2003, 60 (2): 125-130.
- M. Azharul, M. N. A. Hawlader. Performance evaluation of a v-groove solar air collector for drying applications. Applied Thermal Engineering, 2006, 26: 121-130.
- Baysal, F. Ic-ier, S. Ersus, H. Yildiz. Effects of microwave and infrared drying on the quality of carrot and garlic. European Food Research Technology, 2003, 218:68-73.
- J. Coumans. Models for drying kinetics based on drying curves of slabs. Chemical Engineering and Processing, 2000, 39: 53-68.
- C. Stintzing, R. Carle. Functional properties of anthocyanins and betalains in plants, food, and in human nutrition. Trends in Food Science and Technology, 2004, 15, (20): 19-38.
- F. Delgado, A. Jiménez, O. Paredes-López. Natural pigments: carotenoids, anthocyanins, and betalains–characteristics, biosynthesis, processing, and stability. Food Sci Nutr., 2000, 40(3):173-289.
- Alard, V. Wray, L. Grotjahn, H. Reznik, D. Strack. Neobetanin Isolation and identification from Beta vulgaris. Phytochemistry, 1985, 24:2383–2385.
- Roy, S. Gullapalli, U. R. Chaudhuri, R. Chakraborty. The use of a natural colorant based on betalain in the manufacture of sweet products in India. Int. J. Food Sci. Technol., 2004, 39: 1087-1091.
- K. Koul, M. P. Jain, S. Koul, V. K. Sharma, C. L. Tikoo, S. M. Jain. Spray drying of beet root juice using different carriers. Indian journal of chemical technology, 2002, 9(5): 442-445.
- E. Kinsella. Functional properties of protein in food- A survey Crit. Rev. Food Sci.Nutr., 1976, 5:219.
- Kaur, N. Singh. Relationships between selected properties of seeds, flours, and starches from different chickpea cultivars. Int. J. Food Prop., 2006, (9):597-608.
- Siddiq, M. Nasir, R. Ravi, K. D. Dolan, M.S. Butt. Effect of defatted maize germ addition on the functional and textural properties of wheat flour. Int. J. Food Prop., 2009. 12:860-870.
- Sunil, N. Chauhan, Samsher, S. Chandra, J. Singh, and R. S. Sengar. Assessment of functional properties of composite flours. International Journal of Chemical Studies, 2018, 6(5): 727-730.
- Chaudhary, V. Kumar, Sunil, R. Kumar, V. Kumar, B. Singh. Studies on drying and rehydration characteristics of osmotreated pineapple slices using different tray drying temperatures. Internat. J. Agric. Engg., 2019, 12(1):25-30.
- Chaudhary, V. Kumar, Sunil; S. Chandra, Samsher, B.R. Singh. Effects on drying characteristics of osmotic dehydrated pineapple (Ananas comosus) slices using different drying temperatures. South Asian Journal of Food Technology and Environment, 2019, 5(1): 778-784.
- Ranganna. Handbook of analysis and quality control for fruits and vegetable products.2nded, Tata McGraw Hill Publishing Company Limited, New Delhi, India, 1995.
- Nsonzi, H. S. Ramaswamy. Osmotic dehydration kinetics of blueberries. Drying Technol., 1998, 16(3-5):725-741.
- W. Sosulski, M. O. Garatt, A.E. Slinkard. Functional properties of ten legume flours. Int. J. Food Sci. Technol., 1976, 9:66-69.
- A. Shad, H. Nawaz, M. Hussain, B. Yousuf. Proximate composition and functional properties of rhizomes of lotus (nelumbo nucifera), Pak. J. Bot., 2012 43(2): pp. 895-904.
- C. Vengaiah, G. N. Murthy, K. R. Prasad, K. U. Kumari, and K. U. Arul raj. Physico chemical and functional characteristics of palmyrah (Borassus flabellifer L) tuber flour. Journal of Plantation Crops, 2013, 41(3): 437-440.
- Narayana, R. M. S. Narsinga. Functional properties of raw and heat processed winged bean (Psophocarpus tetragonolobus) flour. J. Food Sci., 1982, 42:534-538.
- C. Okaka, N. N. Potter. Functional and storage properties of cow peawheat flour blends in bread making. J. Food Sci., 1977, 42:828-833.
- A. Kumar, S. Singh, B. R. Singh, N. Chauhan, D. K. Mishra, G. R. Singh. Drying characteristics of ginger slices using different drying methods and pretreatments Prog. Agric. 2017, (2): 205-211.
- Pervin, M. S. Islam, M. N. Islam. Study on Rehydration Characteristics of Dried Lablab Bean (Lablab Purpureus) Seeds. J Agric Rural Dev, 2008, 6(1&2), 157-163.
- Singh. Functional properties of grain legume flours. J. Food Sci. Technol. 2001, 38:191-199.
- D. Mepba, L. Eboh, S. U. Nwaojigwa. Chemical composition, functional and baking properties of wheat-plantain composite flours. AJFAND, 2007, 7: 1–22.
- O. Abulude, T. N. Fagbemi, and Olaofe. Functional properties of cowpea seed sprayed with neem leaf extacts. Adv. Food Sci. 2005, 23:68-71.
- Chandra, Samsher. Assessment of functional properties of different flours. African Journal of Agricultural Research, 2013, 8(38): 4849-4852.
- Shrestha and S. Srivastava. Functional Properties of Finger Millet and Barnyard Millet Flours and Flour Blends International Journal of Science and Research, 2017, 6 (6): 2319-7064.
- O. Adeleke, J. O. Odedeji. Functional Properties of Wheat and Sweet Potato Flour Blends Pakistan. Journal of Nutrition, 2010, 9 (6): 535-538.
- Martinez, SE. Garza-Juarez, NE. Rocha-Guzman, J. Morales-Castro. Functional Properties, Color and Betalain Content in Beetroot- Orange Juice Powder Obtained by Spray Drying. Journal of Food and Dairy Technology, 2015, 3 (2): 10- 16.
- Karuna, D. Noel, K. Dilip. Food and Nutrition Bulletin, United Nation University, 1996, 17(2).