Spectroscopic And Chromatographic Methods For Detection Of Adulteration In Liquid Petroleum And Biomass Fuels: A Review
Gubihama Joel* and Linus N. Okoro
Department of Petroleum Chemistry, School of Arts and Sciences, American University of Nigeria, Yola, Adamawa State, Nigeria
Keywords: Fuel Adulteration, fluorescence spectroscopy, nuclear magnetic resonance, principal component analysis
https://doi.org/10.37273/chesci.cs182050111 • PDF
Ubiquitously, people mix liquid fuels with contaminants with the aim of increasing the total quantity of the overall product. This activity commonly referred to as adulteration, disrupts the chemical composition of liquid fuels thereby reducing their quality and operation standard. Fuel adulteration is an illegal activity worldwide due to its hazardous effects to mankind and other living organisms. It causes harmful greenhouse gases to be released into the atmosphere which causes atmospheric pollution. Other effects include engine malfunction or knocking. Fuel adulteration is also found in biodiesel production using transesterification reaction when impurities such as soap, glycerol, excess alcohol and water are formed. Overall, it is imperative to constantly check the quality of liquid fuels. Scientists have recorded great strides over the years in this regard. This review will focus on the traditional laboratory techniques which utilize atomic and molecular analysis as well as separation methods.
- Meira, C. M. Quintella, E. M. Ribeiro, H. R. Silva, A. K. Guimaraes, L. Saionara, W. L. Silva and I. J. de Brito, Determination of Adulterants in Diesel by Integration of LED Fluoresence Spectra, Journal of the Brazilian Chemical Society, 26(7), pp. 1352-1356, July 2015.
- Meira, C. M. Quintella, P. R. C. Neto, L. M. Pepe, E. M. d. O. Ribeiro, W. L. Silva, A. L. Del Cid and A. K. Guimaraes, Validation of LED Spectrofluorimeter for Determination of Both Biodisel and Nontransesterified Residual Cooking Oil in Diesel Samples, Spectrochimica Acta Part A: Molecular and Biomolecular Spectroscopy, 136(B), pp. 726-730, February 2015.
- P. Soares, T. F. Rezende, C. R. d. C. Pereira, C. G. dos Santos and C. I. Fortes, Determination of Biodiesel Adulteration with Raw Vegetable Oil from ATR-FTIR Data using Chemometric Tools, Journal of the Brazilian Chemical Society, 22(7), July 2011.
- C. da Silva, M. F. Pimentel, R. S. Honorato, M. Talhavini, A. O. Maldaner and F. A. Honorato, Classification of Brazilian and Foreign Gasolines Adulterated with Alcohol Using Infrared Spectroscopy, Forensic Science International, 253, pp. 33-42, 2015.
- Mabood, R. Boque, A. Hamaed, F. Jabeen, A. Al-Harrasi, J. Hussain, S. Alameri, M. Albroumi, Z. Al Naureen, M. M. Al Nabhani, M. Al Rawahi and F. A. Al Futaisi, Near Infrared Spectroscopy Coupled with Multivariate Methods for the Charasterization of Ethanol Adulteration in Premium 91 Gasoline, Energy & Fuels, 31(7), 2017.
- O. Moura, A. B. Camara, M. C. Santos, C. L. Morais, L. A. de Lima, K. M. Lima and L. S. de Carvalho, Advances in Chemometric Control of Commercial Diesel Adulteration by Kerosene Using IR Spectroscopy, Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry, 411(11), pp. 2310-2315, April 2019.
- Bassbasi, A. Hafid, S. Platikanov, R. Tauler and A. Oussama, Study of Motor Oil Adulterated by Infrared Spectroscopy and Chemometrics Methods, Fuel, 104, pp. 798-804, 2013.
- B. Camara, L. S. de Carvalho, C. L. de Morais, L. A. de Lima, H. O. de Araujo, F. M. de Oliveira and K. M. de Lima, MCR-ALS and PLS coupled to NIR/MIR spectroscopies for Quantification and Identification of Adulterant in Biodiesel-Diesel Blends, Fuel, 210, pp. 497-506, 2017.
- Dadson, S. Pandam and N. Asiedu, Modeling the Characteristics and Quantification of Adulterants in Gasoline Using FTIR Spectroscopy and Chemometric Caliberations, Cogent Chemistry, 2018.
- Boadu, Effects of Adulteration on Diesel Oil with Kerosene Fuel in Ghana, Journal of Applied Science & Environmental Management, 23(7), pp. 1195-1200, 2019.
- M. Obeidat, The Use of H NMR and PCA for Quality Assessment of Gasoline of Different Octane Number, Applied Magnetic Resonance, 46(8), pp. 875-883, 2015.
- D. Cunha, L. F. Montes, E. V. Castro and L. L. Barbosa, NMR in the Time Domain: A new Methodology to Detect Adulteration of Diesel Oil with Kerosene, Fuel, 166, pp. 79-85, February 2016.
- Cunha, A. C. Neto, E. V. Castro, L. A. Colnago and L. L. Barbosa, Application of Time-Domain NMR as a Methodology to Quantify Adulteration of Diesel Fuel with Soybean Oil and Frying Oil, Fuel, 252, pp. 567-573, 2019.
- M. Tan, I. Barman, N. C. Dingari, G. P. Singh, T. F. Chia and W. L. Tok, Toward the Development of Roman Spectroscopy as a Nonperturbative Online Monitoring Tool for Gasoline Adullteration, Analytical Chemistry, 85(3), pp. 1846-1851, 2013.
- Middelburg, M. Ghaderi, A. Bossche, J. Bastemeijer, G. d. Graaf, R. Wolffenbuttel, R. Soltis and J. Visser, Combining Impedence Spectroscopy with Optical Absorption Spectroscopy in the UV for Biofuel Composition Measurement, IEEE International Instrumentation and Measurement Technology Conference, 2017.
- d. Graaf, G. Lacerenza, R. Wolffenbuttel and J. Visser, Dielectric Spectroscopy for Measuring the Composition of Gasoline/Water/Ethanol Mixtures, IEEE International Instrumentation and Measurement Technology Conference, 2015.
- Wang, Q. Cheng, Y. Yuan, C. Wang and S. Ma, Determination of Adulteration gasoline Using Fluorescence Emission-Excitation Matrices and Multivariate Calibreation, Spectrochimica Acta Part A: Molecular and Biomolecular Spectroscopy, 210, pp. 260-265, March 2019.
- M. Obeidat, M. M. Al-Ktash and I. F. Al-Momani, Study of Fuel Assessment and Adulteration Using EEMF and Multiway PCA, Energy and Fuels, pp. 4889-4894, 2014.
- R. Kulathunga and K. R. Mahanama, Fingerprinting Diesel and Petrol Fuels for Adulteration in Sri Lanka, Journal of National Foundation Sri Lanka, 41(2), pp. 287-292, 2013.
- Samsuri, Determination of Palm Biodiesel/Petroleum Diesel Blend Ratio Through Spectroscopic Method, University of Malaya Library, Malaya, 2014.
- M. Ramteke, L. B. Revatkar, R. V. Phadke and N. L. Chutke, Analysis of Petrol: A Clarification for Purity of Petrol, ESR Journal, 1(1), 2016.
- P. Vempatapu, D. Tripathi, J. Kumar and P. K. Kanaujia, Determination of Kerosene as an Adulterant in Diesel Through Chromatography and High-Resolution Mass Spectrometry, SN Applied Sciences, 2019.
- Samal, Detection of Adulteration in Petrol Using Gas Chromatography, International Journal of Advanced Research in Electrical, Electronics and Instrumentation Engineering, 5(6), pp. 1111-1119, 2016.
- Maldonado, P. Barreiro and R. V. Gutierrez, Mid-Infrared Uncooled Sensor for the Identification of Pure Fuel, Additives and Adulterants in Gasoline, Fuel Processing Technology, 171, pp. 287-292, 2018.
- Kayanthare, B. Khampirat, K. Peiponen and B. Sutapun, Rapid Detection of Variability and Adulteration of Diesel Oils, in OSA Technical Digest, Washington, 2018.